WHAT KIND OF LIFE HAS THIS LOVED ONE LIVED?
I. SHE HAS LIVED A LIFE THAT HAS BEEN IMPORTANT TO ALL OF US AROUND HER
A. We Are Richer From Knowing Iris
1. She is like the woman in Mark 14:2-10
2. Her testimony out-lives her
B. We Know Very Little About This Woman
NOTE: CNN or Fox News is not here to report on this funeral
1. We don’t know her background
2. We don’t know her home
3. We don’t know her age
4. We don’t know her family
5. We don’t know her name
NOTE: Parents do not name their daughters after her
C. Iris, Like This Woman, Is Important
1. To her family
2. To her church family
3. Just to mention her meant faces would light up
4. She is important to Jesus
II. SHE HAS LIVED A LIFE THAT HAS BEEN A SERVICE TO JESUS
A. She Was A Blessing To The Lord Jesus Christ And His People
1. A box made of alabaster in which lotions were preserved
2. The ancients considered alabaster to be the best material in which to preserve their ointments
3. Breaking the box, probably means breaking the seal of the box
4. Spikenard – a most precious lotion
NOTE: She is a role model to us. When life breaks us we are a sweet smell before God
B. This Act Was A Memorial Of Her Love For Jesus
1. Some people are immortalized in stain glass
2. Some people are immortalized by having buildings named after them
3. Some people are immortalized by their wealth going to foundations named after them
4. Some people are immortalized by their works
a. Some are bad works
b. Some are good works
5. The only memorials that will last are the ones done for and to Jesus
NOTE: She had that rare spiritual quality of knowing this truth:
Only one life, twill soon be past
Only what’s done for Christ will last
III. SHE LIVED A LIFE THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN AS PLEASING TO OTHERS AS IT WAS TO GOD
A. The Kind Of Questions People Ask
1. Why would anyone want to waste time on Jesus?
2. Why would anyone want to waste money on Jesus?
3. Why would anyone want to anoint Jesus?
4. Why would anyone want to waste anything valuable on Jesus?
B. Our Life For Jesus Can Cause Indignation Within Others
NOTE: Indignation within themselves
1. Murmured against her
2. Jesus said
a. Let her alone
b. She has worked a good work on me
c. She has done what she could
C. Others Are Faced With Two Choices When Facing This Woman
1. She can motivate us to likewise serve God
2. She will be a testimony in contrast to our relationship with God
a. Her life will someday lead us to likewise serve God
b. Some may turn away from Jesus
NOTE: Judas went out to betray Jesus
After viewing the live and works of this loved one we have a choice to copy her and live for Jesus or betray Jesus by turning our back on Him.
This next year is going to be a hard year. Holidays will be empty.
We must not forget: She is experiencing the best year of her existence with the lover of her life, her husband, and the lover of her soul, her Lord.
Who is this woman? She is a woman who did what she could.
Question, Are you as ready to meet God as she was?